Rancho La Concepción Nature Reserve
The Rancho La Concepción Nature Reserve is part of the areas protected by Terra Peninsular in Baja California, and since September 4, 2013 the reserve is certified in Mexico as a Natural Protected Area, in the category of Area Voluntarily Destined for Conservation (ADVC in Spanish).
Also known as Baja Dark Skies Inn, La Concepción Observatory is the owner of the ranch and is protected in collaboration with Terra Peninsular under a conservation agreement; and therefore, the reserve is a site promoted as part of the conservation efforts of Terra Peninsular and CONANP, as well as part of the natural protected areas in Mexico.
Located almost 4 miles north of the road to the Sierra de San Pedro Mártir National Park and close to the Ejido Bramadero in Baja California, the reserve has an area of 1235 acres of which 1082 are for conservation and 153 for the area of uses.
The reserve is a strategic point in biological research, astronomical, archaeological and conservation activities, and also supports flora and fauna research projects, as well as promoting the ecological values and scenic beauty of the Sierra de San Pedro Mártir. The area presents chaparral habitats and pine forest, as well as oaks and other species of the riparian habitat. The reserve has been widely visited for different activities such as botanical research and more than 450 species, of which at least 25 are endemic of the mountain range, have been registered in the Sierra de San Pedro Mártir.
That is why the reserve is a unique site that has the landscape qualities, as well as the necessary ecological infrastructure for the development of low impact activities.
CURENTLY OFFERED FOR SALE!
Rancho la Concepcion/Baja Dark Skies Inn. Located 3.5 hours South of Ensenada and 6.5 hours from San Diego1230 acre…
- The ranch is located 3.5 hours south of Ensenada and 6.5 hours from San Diego.
- 1230 acre (500 hectares) titled property (not ejido) located in the Sierra de San Pedro Martir.
- Declared a private nature reserve through CONANP, the first of its kind in Baja California. This is a voluntary designation.
- The property lies at 5000 feet of elevation 6km north off of the paved Observatory road. The property is a mix of live oak and pine with high desert chaparral forest. There is year round running water and several springs. Large apple, peach, pear and plum orchards.
- 2700 square foot custom built adobe house. 3 bedrooms, 2.5 baths (with large walk-in showers and bath in master), main living/dining room, custom kitchen with granite and appliances, solar/utility room. Custom Saltillo tile flooring.
- Fireplace with a woodstove insert-water is solar heated/or on-demand gas. Powered by a 3.00 Kilowatt PV solar array with Outback Inverters and charge controllers. System is 24 volt with AGM sealed batteries.
- Water is supplied from the creek by a solar pump to 5000 litre Rotoplast on the hill above for 60 lbs PSI.
- Large outdoor patio areas with custom stonework and pebble mosaic paths-wood fired outdoor grill and adobe pizza oven. Established gardens with perennials, bulbs and grape vines as well as native cacti.
- Furnishings in house and all appliances-stove-fridge-washer-dryer as well as dishes and bedding and tools needed for maintenance of property (lawn mower etc) are included. The guest house is completely furnished.
- House has satellite internet through Exede Internet and Telcel cellular signal via cell signal amplifier.
- Separate 575 sq. foot guest casita includes two bedrooms, sitting area and large walk in shower in bathroom. Saltillo tile flooring throughout. Propane heater and water heater. Fully furnished.
- Area in front of casita includes a large BBQ area with wood fired grill and sink with running water. Power comes from main house-also solar.
- Trailer 27’ 2007 Kingsport Gulfstream- Could be used as a caretaker’s residence.
- 20’ old trailer used as tool shed.
- 24’ x 12’ Horse stable with tack/hay/tool storage room-5 acre electric and wire fenced pasture with running water.
- 20’ X 20’ roll off roof observatory with electrical power.
- 12’ X 12’ roll off roof observatory with views to the Pacific Ocean
- 12’ X 12’ Observing pad
- Chicken coop with enclosed run-40’X 40’ fenced raised bed vegetable garden-16’ X 24’ Outdoor terrarium/frog pond.
- Established apple orchard with new peach, pear and plum orchards planted as well.
- Included 2007 Ford TT75 4 wheel drive tractor with front loader and rear scraper blade and a Honda gas powered wood splitter