We’re a Mexican nonprofit organization committed to the conservation and protection of the wildlife and natural ecosystems of Baja California.
Currently, we protect over 130,000 acres of natural areas.
Terra Peninsular conserves and protects the natural ecosystems and wildlife of the Baja California peninsula.
The natural resources of the Baja California peninsula are protected and managed for sustainable uses that are compatible with ecological processes.
What we do
We protect natural ecosystems that are home to endangered wildlife through legal protection, adaptive management and continuous work with communities.
Our conservation strategy has three main axes:
- Land Protection.
- Adaptive Management.
- Community Engagement.
Where we work
We have presence in northwestern Mexico in the states of Baja California, Baja California Sur, Sonora, Sinaloa and Nayarit.
Our conservation efforts are focused on the mediterranean region in the western coast of Baja California, mainly in Ensenada, Sierra San Pedro Martir, San Quintín and El Rosario.
- 3 nature reserves certified as Areas Voluntarily Destined for Conservation, two in San Quintín and one in El Rosario.
- 2 sites from the Western Hemisphere Shorebird Reserve Network, one in San Quintí and the other in Ensenada.
- 5 Bird Festivals in San Quintín Bay.
- The San Quintín lagoon complex is listed as a Wetland of International Importance by the Ramsar Convention.
- We rediscovered the San Quintín kangaroo rat, a rodent species that was thought to be extinct for over 30 years.
How our projects are funded
- As a nonprofit organization, we have a diversified acquisition, retention and attention strategy for donors such as individuals, foundations and companies.
- We have a catalog of cause-marketing products, from which we receive a percentage of the sales.
- We receive donations from people and companies interested in protecting nature and wildlife.
- We submit proposals to national and international foundations to receive funding.
- Throughout the year we launch fundraising campaigns.