Who we are
We’re a Mexican nonprofit organization committed to the conservation and protection of the wildlife and natural ecosystems of Baja California.
What we do
We focus on the long-term protection of natural areas through a volunteer conservation model in which private and communal lands can be certified as conservation areas.
Our conservation strategy includes legal protection, adaptive management and continuous work with communities.
Terra Peninsular conserves and protects the natural ecosystems and wildlife of the Baja California peninsula.
The natural resources of the Baja California peninsula are protected and managed for sustainable uses that are compatible with ecological processes.
We identify priority sites of great natural importance and apply the most appropriate management models to guarantee the long-term conservation of these areas.
We carry out conservation activities such as biological monitoring, surveillance programs, attention to visitors in nature reserves, infrastructure maintenance and restoration actions.
We promote the active participation of civil society and local communities in conservation activities through community participation.
- So far we have certified 4 nature reserves that are home to endangered plants and animals.
- 5 Bird Festivals have been organized to raise awareness about the importance of protecting birds.
- 37 sites of archaeological value were identified in the nature reserves, which highlights the importance of the historical heritage of the region.
- Thanks to the monitoring of mammals, in 2018 we rediscovered the San Quintin kangaroo rat. This species now has a safe habitat in the nature reserves.
- We received the Partners in Flight award in recognition of the festival’s design and bird conservation projects.
How our projects are funded
We submit proposals to national and international foundations to receive funding.
We receive donations from people and companies interested in protecting nature and wildlife.
We have a catalog of cause-marketing products, from which we receive a percentage of the sales.
Throughout the year we launch fundraising campaigns.